Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Education equals Excellence

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
Continuing Education is your only sustainable advantage that sets you apart from your competition.

In the Beauty Industry (and other Industry's as well) technology moves us at the speed of light. We must put forth the effort to grow with it or be left behind! 

Years ago, I worked along side a very talented, successful & professional Stylist.
I admired her business skills and the way she worked with her clients. I looked up to her as a leader & a role-model. Yet I noticed that her client base was very small and her book was wide-open most of the time. I couldn't understand why, so I chalked it up to her management duties. Until one afternoon, when the salon was all buzzed up about an upcoming International Beauty Show in NYC, I listened in on a conversation my "role-model" was having with her guest.
The client had asked her if she too was going to go to the this upcoming show and her response was this, "There's no way I'm spending my money on a ticket into a building to shop for the same things I can buy at the supply store!
I blacked out after that! That was the quote I took away from our years together. It bypassed all the wonderful things I knew of this stylist and suddenly her wide-open appointment book made all the sense in the world to me!

When you're green, you're growing! When you're ripe, you rot.

Trade show's are not glorified shopping trips! They are bountiful educational experiences that put you directly in front of what's happened yesterday, what's going on today, and what's about to happen tomorrow.  Sure there's shopping, if you can find time for that, and yes there are additional advanced classes you can purchase on top of your admission cost, but there are many available classes that are included in the costly cost of your admission ticket - and I truly find it hard to believe that anyone is too advanced for those included classes. As a matter of fact, I have made it to many of these classes, and I've walked away with new information EVERY TIME!

The two most important requirements for major success are first, being in the right place at the right time, and second, doing something about it!

I'm really excited about my educational line-up to come, and I know my clients are too - because at the end of it all, that's who really gets the benefit from all the work I put into my art!
At the End of February I will find myself in Opryland Nashville, Tennessee! There I will have 3 days of intense training in Goldwell Coloring, Styling & Business. I am beyond BLESSED!  (visit www.goldwell-northamerica.com  to explore more educational opportunities at the Academies in Baltimore & Santa Monica - Canada, too)
In April, you'll find me at IBS New York, taking the opportunity to learn something new in at least 5 classes that are MUST-SEE's for me! (check out www.IBSnewyork.com to see the schedule, line-up or purchase tickets!) I will reward my hard work & sacrifce with a delightful dinner in Little Italy, and a dozen Cannolli from Ferraro's Bakery for the ride home! (it's tradition!)
May will feature the Fashion Focus Show in Baltimore, where I hope to not only learn from the best, but also share my knowledge with others!
(www.fashion-focus.net)
You've seen my posts about EEG's Future Professionals Expo...  well that's in June & you know how I feel about that! If you don't know what "new blood" is coming into the industry, this is THE event to see it all! The talent is so Inspirational! And the future for these soon to be pro's is BRIGHT! They are raising the standard!

Travel may not be an option for you and that's ok! The WORLD is at your fingertips via the internet! Of course, Celina the Hair Pro will keep you up to date, as will Celina's FAVORITE blog Stylista by Salon Confidential! 
Behind the Chair is another excellent resource! Below is an excerpt from my daily BTC inspiration. I'm sharing it with you, because I believe it to echo my message of Education!

Read on & have a GREAT HAIR DAY!

~ Celina 




Get Schooled
Complacency. It can kill a salon business. So what’s the best defense against this deadly inertia? Education! This year, make it a point to allocate more time and energy for training and education to light your team on fire. Here are three tips to get you going:
Make the Commitment: Giving staff access to educational opportunities requires dedication and effort on the part of ownership. This means developing and implementing a training system, writing your own salon-specific training manual, and keeping abreast of everything that's offered in the marketplace. Also consider supporting manufacturers who offer aggressive educational programs.
Be Flexible: Structure must not become suffocating, especially in a creative field. Realize that your training manual will change as staff members grow. For example, if someone can demonstrate they don't need to be in a particular class, they can teach for two hours a week instead of being a student.
Use It Or Lose It: When team members return from a trade show or outside training, set aside time for them to present their discoveries to the rest of the staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment